Friday, January 30, 2015

Deflated Balls - That's Funny

As the football season is quickly coming to an end, I wanted to make sure I had a chance to sound off on all things NFL before we are officially in the off season.  It seems to me this year has been inundated with controversy and stupidity.  So much has been very serious, as it should be - domestic violence, child abuse, alcoholism, cheating, cover ups, etc.  I'm sure the list could go on and on.  It seems that this has been a less than stellar year for the NFL.

While the issue of cheating is a quite serious one, you HAVE to admit, the New England Patriots and their deflated balls have given us much to giggle and snicker about.  Bill Belichick made a point of saying FOOTballs, because even as a 62 year old man, he was squeamish about just saying BALLS!

One of my favorite shows is Mike & Mike on ESPN2 every morning.  They are fantastic sports commentators, but they are the BEST at never growing up when they don't have to.  Mike Greenberg "Greeny" even managed to have people tweet their thoughts about the deflated balls using the hash tag #shrinkage!!  It was the #1 trending hash tag in the US for 2 days!  It's funny.

What isn't funny is the fact that I cannot bring myself to cheer for either team in the Super Bowl.  Of course I'm disappointed in the Broncos, but that happens quite often.  But never in my 45 years of watching football, and I have watched a TON of it, do I recall not wanting either team to win.  It's almost not worth watching because I am rooting against both teams.  Normally my tie breaker is to pull for the team representing the AFC.  However, with the latest antics of the Pats along with my distaste for the Hoodie and the butt-chin - I just can't bring myself to do it.  That leaves Seattle, and well, frankly, after the butt whoopin they gave my beloved Broncos last year, I just can't like them more than the Patriots.  It's a Super Bowl disaster!

So, as Super Bowl Sunday descends upon me in less than 2 days, I have made a decision.  I will watch the game, of course, and I will simply not cheer for anyone.  Why would I still participate in this yearly ritual?  Because I love football of course - and because I cannot give up the Super Bowl food extravaganza that comes along with it.  And of course, the commercials and the half-time show.  There is so much more to this championship than who is going to win, I must not punish myself for the misdeeds of these teams.

Finally, I am going into this off season with a sense of peace that all is right in Broncos Country.  John Elway runs the team, Gary Kubiak is the coach, Rick Dennison is the OC, and now Wade Phillips is the DC.  So long as Peyton returns, this will be the perfect start to a new season and new chapter in Denver.  It is reminiscent of times long ago, and I couldn't be happier.

Follow me on Facebook:
Lisa Chollet        Yevo Generation     Lisa's Awesome Autism Tips    Yevo & Autism

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy ­N­­F­­L­­T­V­SHOW.C­O­M, it has a great selection of NFL games and I like the DVR functionality. The video quality is also good. now that they have added the DVR + 300 hrs of space and the series record option…

    ReplyDelete