I don't know how many people truly love football as much as I do. Well, to be fair, probably quite a few, but most are NOT women. I have many male friends due in part to my absolute obsession with football, especially the Denver Broncos. My female friends do not share this love. Oh sure, they say they love the Broncos, post on Facebook prior to and right after a game, they have all the cutsie Bronco outfits, but its all a show. Ask them about the "Drive" and you get a blank stare. Ask them about quarterbacks outside of Elway or Manning - they've got nothing. No offense to them, I applaud their fandom. I just simply wasn't raised that way.
My parents became season ticket holders in the 70's...WAY WAY before Elway. I grew up watching the Broncos and learning about game day rituals when we were on the road. My mom has some of the coolest Bronco bling EVER! This was not easy to do back before the NFL actively started seeking a larger female base. I remember our first Super Bowl loss to the Cowboys and I remember literally crying when we finally won against Green Bay. Outside of the birth of my children, I think that was truly the happiest day of my life. I love them that much! My brother and sister share this same love so I know I am a product of my childhood.
My love of football doesn't end there. I watch every Sunday, Monday and Thursday night game as well. I have teams I love and hate. I know who coaches where and my twitter account is primarily used to keep up on all the happenings in the NFL. I also watch a ton of college football. If its a good game, I'm watching. It's very rare that I watch without rooting for a specific team. I have favorites and I have those teams I absolutely despise. College football is exciting because most of those kids know they will never make it to the NFL so they play with heart.
Now that the first ever College Football Championship is over and the NFL playoffs are slowly creeping to an end, I know that I am about to enter into the football jitters. It's that time of year when you realize there is a dead zone in football. I hate it. You get a small reprieve when the draft comes around but otherwise its just a desert of nothingness for a few months.
In the meantime, I am closely watching the coaches carousel to see who will end up where. Most importantly is Denver. After the shock of John Fox being let go, my mind immediately went to the impossible dream. Could we possibly land Gary Kubiak as the new head coach?! Nothing would be sweeter than to bring that man home to Colorado and reunite him with his team. My fingers, toes, arms and legs are crossed hoping beyond hope that this will happen. See, beyond my belief that he is a great coach, lies my loyalty to anyone who has worn the Denver Broncos uniform. So my mantra for the week is "Bring Kubiak Home"!
So, as I wait not so patiently for the decision to be made, I will immerse myself in the final few weeks of the NFL playoffs. We will make all of our favorite football food and eat it as if it will be our last meals. Somehow football food only tastes AMAZING during football season so we must overindulge now so we can survive the off season. It's all connected - as I like to say. Football, food, and family!
Until next time!
www.bit.ly/YevoLeap - Football food that's healthy!
No comments:
Post a Comment